Wednesday 2 May 2012

Starting Off Modelling



And so it came to modelling time, heres a few screenshots I took during the modelling, and on first look you can easily tell it follows the concept art almost identically, I had issues modelling some of the assets  mainly getting things modelled so you can run though the assets such as the burger 4 images down. However I learned a trick which I didn't know before, that you can select the bootleans on Maya and select difference and it will create a whole for you based on the shape you using. This made life a lot easier cause on our level there was plenty of stuff which you can interact with and run through. I also found the chocolate Fondue which is the first image down challenging as well cause it was a very unusual shape and I wanted to model it with the thought of the chocolate been animated on unity towards a later date, so provided a good challenge. I also learned to reduce the amount of faces as for example the chocolate fondue model had a lot of faces which were inside the model which didn't need to be there so I spend some time deleting these and it also became alot easier to texture because of this. Overall you can see how well the project is coming up and even in lambert the level is started to take shape and look really great so with the added use of texturing the level should really stand out. I also had problems modelling the start of Canada, unfortunately I have not uploaded any screenshots to this time, but because there more circular based assets creating pathways inside them was a challenging aspect and getting it to link up with the paths I Created but after a few attempts I gradually got the shape i was aiming for and was happy with my results. Finally you can't really tell from the screenshots but to keep the polly count down I was advised to take away some of the subdivisions, especially in the spheres and cylinders because there not needed, especially in a 2d side scrolling game which is not reliant on realistic graphics, plus if were going for a cartoon aesthetic it might be more beneficial not to have too perfect shapes, to create that cartoon look, so I spent some time going over the levels to reduce the count.













No comments:

Post a Comment