Thursday 23 February 2012

Temple Run


A game I have been playing a lot recently is Temple Run which is available on the iPad, which is the market where heading towards in having the game been able to be played on this device, so I thought it would be a good source of research. Firstly the game has been so successful and has already gone viral and there are even parody videos on Youtube.

A reason for This is game is so simple to play, there are very little controls to master, and these effectively work well with the iPads touch screen and tilt, such to the impact that I don't think this game would be half as successful been played on a video games controller.The way in which you swipe your finger up to jump and swipe left to turn left at a controller allows a more fluent gameplay and feels like you are in more control as your doing the movements with your hand instead of just pressing a button. What I really like about Temple Run is the fact there is no ending. It is designed so in theory you can play forever in a continuous cycle. There is no finale which I think is great, normally when people complete a game they tend to never revisit. But with the high score gameplay I found myself playing this game a lot trying to improve on my score and outperform my friends scores which can be uploaded onto the servers for all to view. Aswell as you are able to buy new characters and new powers which keeps you playing to unlock these assets so you can improve on your score. It just adds extra gameplay. And the way they try to get you to like the game on Facebook, is a great tactic to use as it gets people on Facebook informed about the game through there friends liking the game.

Towards thinking about our game through playing Temple run there are a few ideas I'm thinking about. Instead of it been a standard side scrolling plat former we should have some kind of Highscore gameplay, however to this point I'm not sure at what exactly, whether that be quickest time or combo points. The other thought I have had is that to get a bit of attention, Im thinking that the players have to like the page on Facebook to get a new weapon or costume or something along those lines.



No comments:

Post a Comment